Teaching for Biliteracy Summer Institute – VIRTUAL
June 22 – 26, 2020
IMPORTANT: This year the IRC’s Biliteracy Summer Institute scheduled from June 22 to 26, 2020 will be provided virtually due to COVID19. Although it is regrettable that the Biliteracy Institute cannot take place in person, there is still a critical need for this important professional learning opportunity. Karen Beeman, Cheryl Urow and the entire team are preparing a combination of live sessions and asynchronous activities for this updated event. The goal remains the same: to provide useful strategies, resources, and information for educators serving bilingual and biliterate students.
The Illinois Resource Center (IRC) is offering a 5-day summer institute focused on teaching for biliteracy in Spanish and English. The institute will feature:
- Overview of the strategic use of Spanish and English and teaching for
biliteracy in transitional bilingual programs, dual language programs, and one-way and two-way immersion programs
- Best practices in teaching Spanish and English literacy
- Strategies that support translanguaging, making cross-linguistic connections, and the Bridge between languages
- Instructional practices specific to teaching reading and writing in each language
- Bilingual unit framework for developing and delivering standards-based biliteracy curriculum maps and units of instruction that integrate the teaching of language, literacy and content
Speaker information coming soon!
Crowne Plaza West Loop
25 S Halsted St
Chicago, Illinois 60661 USA
At the corner of Madison and Halsted Streets, the Crowne Plaza is conveniently located within a 20 minute walk from Ogilvie and Union Stations (Metra) and is in the heart of the West Loop near Near Fulton Market, Chicago Loop, Greek Town, Little Italy, University Village, and River North. There is paid parking available for hotel guests and other lots in the area.